It’s springtime in Louisiana, and that means strawberries! Every year I make strawberry jam, but I inevitably have leftover strawberries. Each year I try out one or two new recipes to use up the leftovers, something above and beyond the standard strawberry shortcake (not that I don’t eat my share of that too). Here are some of my favorite recipes; I hope you’ll enjoy them as much as we do!
These strawberry muffins are great for breakfast. They are not too sweet, and taste wonderful with a bit of butter spread on them. You can also frost them if you like for a nice cupcake alternative.
1 3/4 cup of flour
1/2 cup of sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup of milk
1/4 cup of unsalted butter, melted
1 cup of strawberries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line an 8 cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter, milk, and egg. Beat lightly. In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Toss in chopped strawberries and stir to coat with flour. Pour in milk mixture and stir together.
- Fill muffin cups. Bake at 375 degrees for 22-25 minutes, or until the tops bounce back from the touch. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pans. Cool completely before eating.
MINI STRAWBERRY TARTS
Mini strawberry tarts make a great dessert for a potluck. They are easy to make but look like you made a huge effort. Get the full recipe here.
STRAWBERRY MOSCATO COOLER
Finally, something strictly for the big kids! This is a light, refreshing cocktail that is perfect for a bridal shower, a BBQ, or an average Saturday afternoon. You can get the full recipe right here.
Keep in mind that darker berries are riper and therefore sweeter. I try to use the darkest berries I can for these recipes, especially the tarts. I hope these recipes help you enjoy strawberry season to the fullest!
Latest posts by Melissa (see all)
- 20+ Things to do During the Holiday Break - December 18, 2019
- Eleven Things to Love About the Mississippi Gulf Coast - October 3, 2018
- Five Reasons my Daughters are in Girl Scouts - November 2, 2016